The Kankakee County Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) promotes and assists in the preservation of Kankakee County's rural heritage through the identification, evaluation, and documentation of Kankakee County's historic landmarks, and thereby increases and encourages public awareness of and appreciation for Kankakee County's history and historic landscape
The Kankakee County HPC meetings are held on the first Monday of each month at 4 pm unless otherwise published. Meetings are held on the 2nd floor at the Kankakee County Building located at 189 E Court Street, Kankakee.
The Historic Preservation Committee is now publishing a quarterly newsletter. View the Historic Newsletter archive.
- Jane Johnson (Chairperson)
- John Adams (Vice-Chairman)
- Cole Jarvis (Secretary)
- Kathleen Slavin, Committee Member
- Shari Ebert, Committee Member
- Catherine Langlois, Committee Member
- Jane Schwark, Committee Member
- Dawn Landwehr, Committee Member
- Steve Bukowski, Committee Member
- Delbert Skimerhorn (Planning/GIS Manager), Ex officio
Historic Sites in Kankakee County
The Historic Preservation Committee has begun gathering information about historic sites within Kankakee County. This is an ongoing process and information will be added as it is obtained. View the following information about historic sites in Kankakee County:
The Bourbonnais Grove Historical Society in cooperation with the Kankakee County Historic Preservation Commission has developed walking tours of historic locations and structures within the Village of Bourbonnais.
View the Walking Tours of Bourbonnais (PDF).
View the French-Canadian Heritage Corridor (PDF).
Illinois Historic Preservation Agency Information
Recommended Books for Architectural Research
List from Illinois State Historic Preservation Office:
- Blumenson, John J. G., Identifying American Architecture.
- Nashville, Tenn.: American Associate for State and Local History, 1977, 1981
- Clark, Clifford Edward, Jr., The American Family Home 1800-1960.
- Chapel Hill, NC: The University of North Carolina Press 1986
- Gowans, Alan, The Comfortable House: North American Suburban Architecture, 1890-1930. Cambridge, Mass.: The MIT Press, 1986.
- Gowans, Alan, Images of American Living: Four Centuries of Architecture and Furniture as Cultural Expression. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1964.
- Massey, James C., and Maxwell, Shirley, House Styles in America: The Old-House Journal Guide to the Architecture of American Homes. New York: Penguin Studio 1996.
- McAlester, Virginia and Lee, A Field Guide to American Houses. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, l984.,
- Poppeliers, John, at. Al., What Style is it? Washington D.C.: The Preservation Press, National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1983.
- Phillips, Steven J., Old-House Dictionary: an Illustrated Guide to American Domestic Architecture (1600-1940). Washington D.C. The Preservation Press, National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1989.
- Shiffen, Marcus, American Architecture Since 1780: A Guide to the Styles. Cambridge, Mass: The MIT press, 1969, rev.